Monday, July 6, 2009

INSPIRATION BOARD-6th July 2009


This week's distractions.



  1. "Fight Club" (1999)-I love Chuck Palahniuk's writing, probably because it is so different from mine. I finally got around to watching the film adaptation of his 1996 novel just last week. The experience was definitely helped along by a few glasses of wine. Talk about jumping on the bandwagon ridiculously late, but it is a a satisfying film that has done an admirable job of sticking with me.

  2. Farmer's Markets. I wish that there was one in my neighborhood but, alas, I shall have to seek one out. Shopping the stalls is a sign that Summer is in its magnificent full-swing.

  3. Marion Cotillard's look in "Public Enemy". The French actress has an almost non-pareil ability to fit seamlessly into period films. Not only does she wear the clothes superbly, but she looks as if she is comfortably of that time. This is the only film that I really want to see this Summer.

  4. "Writing is its own reward."-Henry Miller. This is a simple, effective reminder about something that is so easy to forget.

  5. The Greek Myths: 1 by Robert Graves. Greek Mythology is complex, potent, compelling and incredibly entertaining--everything that fiction should strive to be. Mythology is a complicated mixture of history, religion, fiction and sociology that we can learn much of the story-telling craft from. I also love Graves' approach. Reading about the Greeks always makes me excited about the possibilities of story and characterization.

  6. The above photograph of Ohio-born writer Fannie Hurst is, for me, the epitome of the elegant, intelligent early-20th Century female writer. One could craft innumerable fictions around that image.

No comments:

Post a Comment