Saturday, June 27, 2009

INSPIRATION BOARD-27 June 2009




This is the first of many new elements that will be added over the next few weeks. Every weekend, I will be sharing with you some of the eclectic things that inspire me, both as a writer and person: after all, the two are completely fused. Artists of the visual variety are famously inspired by all manner of things. I believe that this holds true for every creative, including writers. While the words, deeds, and lives of other wordsmiths certainly help goad one on in the hope department, ideas often arise from the most random, unexpected sources. Some of these muses run a true and constant course, providing you with a steady stream of encouragement and fecundity. Others dash in front of you, inspiring a passionate moment or two before flitting out of your mind. Anything that encourages you to pick up the tools of your trade and get creating is valid and luminous. On this week's board:

"I love you without knowing how or when, or from where.

I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;

so I love you because I know no other way."

from "SONNET XVII" by Pablo Neruda


I just re-discovered the novel "Depths of Glory" by Irving Stone, historical fiction about my favourite Impressionist, Camille Pissaro. I read it as a teen and plan on borrowing my mom's copy in order to dive back into the excellently re-created world of 19th-century French art.

"I can always be distracted by love, but eventually I get horny for my creativity."-Gilda Radner (1946-1989).

My newly realized passion for making dough.

The culinary chutzpah of every-man Andrew Zimmern. I am addicted to "Bizarre Foods."

The image at the top of the page: "Where there's smoke there's fire", a 1920's painting by Russell Patterson. I love how the colour of the sash is a near-perfect match to her hair. The cut and drape of the frock is still fashionable, and still contemporary. It is all-too-easy for me to create dreamy confectionery back-stories to art like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment